4 changes coming to Google Ads that we couldn’t be more excited about
Google Ads have steadily transformed and evolved over the past few years, and 2019 is no different. From July of last year, there has been a paradigm shift in how the behemoth search engine is helping brands run their ads delivering even more successful results. So whether you run a small digital marketing agency in Lebanon or are part of a large SEO/SEM company, here is a detailed look into five massive changes on Google Ads that is taking the business world by storm.
This year, Google Marketing Live employed its Ads Innovation Keynote to showcase a range of new product features. Among the announcements, one of the most exciting was undoubtedly Discovery Ads. It is a new PPC ad type where advertising agencies can display multiple ads, also referred to as carousel ads, which includes a call to action button. And these ads, which live in feeds as opposed to searches, can be displayed when potential customers are most open to trying out something new.
In short, Discovery ads are native ads that appear in multiple Google feed environments. Described as “visually rich, mobile first and use the ‘power of intent.’” by Google’s VP of Product Management Brad Bender, Discover feed now reaches more than 800 million users globally.
- Interactive and immersive – Advertising agencies can leverage these creative ads to narrate visual stories about products and services. Employing a carousel format, companies can showcase multiple images, which consumers can swipe through. When a target demographic can interact with a brand more effectively, it helps to build engagement levels and drives traffic through the virtual doorstep.
- Machine learning – When you first creates a Discovery Ad, you will find that after you enter the necessary information, Google will employ machine learning to produce the most viable combinations of headlines, descriptions, and images. In essence, your audience will be attracted to your products because you have used the most relevant creative message.
- Complements Google Discover – Only in 2018 did Google Discover replace Google Feed, and it has already amassed an 800 million user base worldwide. And Discovery Ads is going to be vital ad format that will further forge the importance of Google Discover.
- And go beyond Discover’s reach – Discovery Ads won’t just give your company access to Discover’s extensive user base but also to a plethora of other platforms including YouTube’s mobile home feed and Gmail’s promotions and social tabs as well.
How it works
As soon as you select the Discovery campaign type, all you need to do is upload and input your creative. From there, the fantastic Google algorithms will handle ad optimization and showcase the dynamic creative across various locations. By narrating a compelling visual brand story, your business will benefit from accelerated lead generation, an increase in engagement levels and brand awareness significantly.
Formerly known as the ad builder, which is an ad-creation system that provides several ad formats in an array of categories. Brands will be able to amalgamate search intent with a more visual display to better communicate to consumers the advantages and features of their products and services. While Gallery ads can be showcased in Google’s search results “top spot” on mobiles only, the search engine will also look to have them displayed on desktops and various other Google products down the line as well.
The SEO community have voiced their concern over this new ad type, complaining that Gallery Ads will push organic results further down to give more space for paid results.
It remains to be seen how valid those concerns are.
- Personalized ad styles for varied products and services
- Target a specific demographic, so it’s a much more effective marketing strategy
- Free ad templates, chosen from the leading industry standard
How it works
When you set up a gallery ad, you will be allowed to enter up to three headlines, a description of up to 70 characters and a minimum of four to a maximum of eight images. Viewers can swipe through or click on any one of the pictures, which will expand the gallery for further information. According to Google, groups with at least one gallery have experienced about 25% more interactions with consumers, which means that much more in sales as well.
Youtube Bumper Machine
Ever tried to squeeze a 20mins video into a 6 seconds ad? Well, YouTube is now in the process of alpha testing the Bumper Machine, which once rolled out, will enable advertising agencies to break down their longer ads into attention-grabbing six-second versions. While the machine will produce 3 to 4 results, the advertiser can choose the best one or might employ all, and can also undertake a few edits as well.
- Perfect advertising solution for any advertiser regardless of the company size
- Not time-consuming and requires minimum effort for small advertising businesses
How it works
Debbie Weinstein, Google’s vice-president of YouTube and video global solutions said that brands can leverage Bumper ads effectively as either a mini teaser or prequel to longer ads or break down lengthy ads to a series of six-second clips, which will include “key elements” and a “final call to action in the last two-to-three seconds of the video”. So marketing agencies can employ the Bumper Machine to create dynamic ads that will pique the interest of their target audience, thereby substantially growing the number of consumers entering the purchase funnel.
Revamped Local Campaigns
Google’s head of ads, Sridhar Ramaswamy, said that there had been a 10x rise in searches that include the words “open near me tonight.”
Sridhar announced that they are adding the capability to optimize for local actions beyond the store visit, to include phone calls and online requests for directions. Additionally, they are increasing where Local Campaign ads may appear in additional places such as Google Maps search results and via promoted pins as users plan their routes and driving directions.
Lebanese local businesses, especially F&B or Retail shops looking to display products on any of the search engine’s properties including Google Search Network, Maps, YouTube and the Google Display Networks; this is a highly effective solution for you.
Need help in your Digital Marketing campaigns?
With new ways of reaching consumers being added every day across multiple advertising giants, it is perfectly normal for businesses to feel overwhelmed with the changes.
Maybe these new campaign types are not the right choice for your business, maybe a more traditional approach is what you actually need.